NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum
Owners and enthusiasts 300ZX discussion forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   DynoDyno  
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index

Shocks - what's your experice with any brand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Shocks - what's your experice with any brand? Reply with quote

Shocks - what's your experice with any brand?

2+0Z32 wrote:
I'm keen as. Feedback on what's the best deal between the KYB and Monroe set up by someone in the know would help. In the past I've found some Monroes to be shite and not last long and other times be surprisingly good.

Had the same experience with both KYB and Monroe in different cars. Not Zeds though.

The cheaper gas type KYB and Monroe shocks are ok, but if you don't expect them to be high performance handling shocks as Koni and Bilstein are, hence their price difference compared to KYB and Monoroe.

KYB in a 88 Mazda 323 Turbo - were great in a little car - OEM performance OK.

Monroe in customized 1980 2DR 626 Coupe - were terrible and couldn't handle the big coupe body weight with sway bars and lowered harder springs - After 20km's I had them pulled out and shortened adjustable Koni put - unbelievable difference - sublime handling with the set-up

KYB lower range is only basic OEM type replacement type is pretty much the same quality as Monroe range.

If you just want OEM type ride and cruise KYB or Monroe will be fine. But chose wisely as cheap gas type shocks might not be up to a Zed with spirited driver.

The more you pay the better quality of shock.

If you can afford it, adjustable Bilstein or Koni shocks are the way to go from having Koni's previously—I love them — the TT hardtop came with new Bilsteins installed with standards springs and work well/ok ...but the springs need replacing with sway bars to get the full potential with the Bilsteins or Koni's shocks—plan to do all the major suspension work June now I have the Stillen Upper arms and all the other items except the performance bushes I need to get from Z1.

>>> Would I recommend KYB or Monroe — Yes -but only if you expect OEM only type performance in small to mid sized cars, Maybe for large suv's and Zeds that are not driven hard - daily driver or family SUV's are even fine - but for larger performance cars - NO, especially if driven a bit hard, in my own experience, they tend to get softer (rebound?) after a bit of hard work and the handling drops off— you get soft floppy vague handling

I'm going to replace my family 2003 Mitisi Outlander shocks in the next couple of months with KYB only because I don't need high performance handling from them, just OEM or slightly better and I'm happy.
ZILVER
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monroe may be an okay solution for other cars but not for the Z32:

Really should compare 300zx shocks as model specific design for the shock absorber is where the merit is over a brand name.

Quote:
OEM type replacement type is pretty much the same quality as Monroe range

Chris at the shock shop (with many years experiance) would disagree with Monroe gas shocks being the equivalent to the Z32 Nissan/OEM shock.
A certain KYB branded shock is the apparent closest to our 300zx OEM equivalent - but I think these are about twice the price of Monroes.

Chris rates the OEM shock as good and the Monroe Z32 shock as a terrible choice for a heavy sports car. He went on to confess recollection of fitting gas Monroes in cars such as the Z32/Skyline/Soarer "They behave alright for a short period of time" but then we see them come back with issues/damage during the 1year warrenty!
(If you are told Monroe have a cars lifetime warrenty this is for a their Sense-trac? range - this shock type is not available/compatable for Z32)

From a friend of mine whom is a MTA mechanic:
People that have fitted shocks like Monroe may initially happy because its a budget priced shock -
I suspect they are surprised at the instant difference over replacing their old and completely worn stock shocks and springs. But they dont know what the car can or should really behave like

Z32s shocks by design have short shock travel which punish any poor designed/cheap shock.
Gas Monroes also have in small print to replace shocks every 50000ks Shocked
Nissan Z32 owners manual suggest to "check and replace if necessary shocks absorbers at 100000kms"

I've test driven many Z32s, and noted the various shocks whilst doing so. Ride difference is very noticeable with the cheap shock and in my opinion is an unwarrented compromise even for a daily driver. The rebound rate can be terrible, oscillations on the motorway noticeable/undampened - the whole driving experiance suffers.

Say no to Monroe
& avoid D2 coilovers like the Plague

End Rant.
ZFetsh
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Z32 had KYB shocks with 4 way adjustable dampening, and they were just brilliant! They also had the adjuster on the side of the strut at the back so you didn't have to strip your boot interior to adjust them.
I've had Koni's in another Z and they seemed to be fine, but having the dial at the top on the back just made them a bastard to set right.
Mungyz
The Lab

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what people fit to their cars (as long as they are happy with it) & I would never make an effort to rubbish another product suggested in good faith by another forum member - that would be in poor taste and lack maturity.

I will say that I have fitted numerous sets of Monroes over the years and NEVER had one single complaint, Jibber will vouch for the fact that he has had comments on how well his car handles - stick your head under there & see what it's running Wink

Zcarjase is running the same spring and shock package on offer at present and so are a number of other members (been a while and forgotten who they are now Embarassed )

I ran Monroes in my TT slicktop in between the KYBs that failed due to a seized adjuster knob - it was rusted - you guys can argue over that being the shocks fault or not I personally don't care.
Those Monroes won a few races at nightspeed drag wars and even a few races at Taupo track days.

My wifes TT 2+2 is running the Monroes as well & has also been tracked with no sign of any of the tripe above.

I personally have driven far more Z32s than anyone on this forum I can promise you that and the ones that have the worst shocks were NOT Monroes. I have seen failed Monroes but I've also seen failed pretty much everything else.

Every shock manufacturer has their own recommended lifespan for their products, this is a GUIDELINE ONLY and on crap roads like here in NZ it's a case by case situation. NO Z32 has good shocks in it after they have done 100000KMs on NZ roads I promise you that.

I've put the effort in to offer a range of options for anyone looking at shocks and springs at present, you're all smart enough to work out what you want & can afford & you're all smart enough to know I wont push one product over another, it's your car - you choose.

(I will say my konis are fricken awesome and will piss all over any Bilstien (of similar level) any day of the week Razz )

12.4 @ 118mph (on 18" semi slick circuit tyres)
2+0Z32
Stage 5 - boost controller

1989 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my car will take 5 years to do 50,000 kms I'm happy with that . I can't afford an engine re-build, so weekend racing is out too. Possibly, I'd be owning a 350 or 370 by then so the next owner could go mad and throw buckets of money at trick suspension. I'm prepared for my Zed, not to be the fastest, or handle the best out there. But I expect it to be reliable, fun (not scary) to drive, and look at a glance like a semi exotic sports car. I've had good results with Monroes (French made) in an RX2, and not so flash with Aussie built ones in a 180Bsss.
Lurker
Stage 8 - twin pod filters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilsteins. Car origianally came from the land of the rising sun with these, nice compromise shocks - fully rebuildable Smile. Loved them until a shaft snapped under some spirited cornering in the gorge heading into Whangaphewe. Now running KYB Superstreets. A bit on the hard side for daily driving but get out on the open road - well you know what sticks to the proverbial blanket eh Smile
Gammy
Stage 6 - NOS antilag

1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt Tein HA fronts and some super sneaky custom rear jobs. Pretty firm but not unbearable.
MikeC
Elite Z owner, king of modification

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too snapped a bilstein and the rep was not interested. Despite that they seem a good shock. i have them a while (tens of thousands of kms) before it snapped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: