NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum
Owners and enthusiasts 300ZX discussion forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   DynoDyno  
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index

Alloy Radiator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostsoul
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1992 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Alloy Radiator Reply with quote

If you will remember I posted some info on a Alloy Radiator I purchased on Trademe for $380 ..... it has passed the test. Raced pretty hard at the Taupo Track-Day and the water temp NEVER went above 81'c which is only 1-2 deg's above what I normally see on the road (@ last year's track-day water temp bit 100' with std radiator) .... so if you are planning to push your car you should consider one of these Alloy Radiators.

Best $380 I have spent on my car Exclamation Wink
torque is how far you take the wall with you." Wink
Mungyz
The Lab

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that
I have the same rad with a dual pass mod and an electric fan, no accurate temp gauge but never went over half on the factory dash gauge and testing on the road with datalogging shows a very stable temp (81-83 degrees)

Only thing I would say is don't buy the fans from the guy who sells the radiators. His fans are cheap and nasty Laughing

12.4 @ 118mph (on 18" semi slick circuit tyres)
Waylander
Stage 4 - cat back exhaust

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which guy did you buy it off.

What fans did you use glen?

Cheers
lostsoul
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1992 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waylander wrote:

This guy.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Radiators-cooling-systems/auction-141816795.htm?p=13

Not a bad price for thoses hoses either.
torque is how far you take the wall with you." Wink
Mungyz
The Lab

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waylander wrote:

What fans did you use glen?

Cheers

yip what he said

Have got a 16" SAPL fan on there - made in Italy (though this could be a bad thing Laughing )

Waylander
Stage 4 - cat back exhaust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet as thanks guys
TT_ZX
Stage 8 - twin pod filters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought one of these and a 16" Zirgo fan. I decided against the 2 pass mod some time thinking about it. Essential this mod divides the radiator into halfs and passes the water through the first and then back through the second half. Although this doubles the length of the coolant path, the velocity is doubled meaning the coolant is in the radiator for the same amount of time, resulting in no gain. Just my theory guy's, so make up your own minds. I currently mounting the fan inside the original cowling to maximize surface area of the radiator the air will flow through. I'm also working on a variable speed control based on coolant temperature.
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT_ZX wrote:
I've bought one of these and a 16" Zirgo fan. I decided against the 2 pass mod some time thinking about it. Essential this mod divides the radiator into halfs and passes the water through the first and then back through the second half. Although this doubles the length of the coolant path, the velocity is doubled meaning the coolant is in the radiator for the same amount of time, resulting in no gain. Just my theory guy's, so make up your own minds. I currently mounting the fan inside the original cowling to maximize surface area of the radiator the air will flow through. I'm also working on a variable speed control based on coolant temperature.

Good luck .... really not taking the piss-at-all.

But the theory to me is valid on the two pass ... if you read about water and energy dissipation e.t.c ..... but that doesn't mean every situation needs a two pass ...and I'm not sure that a variable speed fan is going be much help ... if you read about water-to-air cooling theory ... some of the best involves inter-coolers ... but the same law applies go both .....but I'd be interested to see your results.

I'm especially keen to find oput as I'm thinking about installing an additional alloy radiator to my MotoGp motorbike project ... as a company claims that that extra cooling will give more Horsepower due to the extra cooling effect of their radiator.

But it would only be any good at a lower speed surly .... because once the bike/car is moving the air will cool more efficiently anyway.... I would have thought ?

Keep us up-to-date on your progress aye.
TT_ZX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed controller is mainly to reduce load on the electrical system. The fan draws between 12-15 amps which is significant if its running flat-out all the time. The speed controller has soft start as well which will reduce inrush current. My alternator has already shit itself once (abuse from stereo I think) so I like to keep things in check. Also I like f&*^ing around with this sort of stuff anyway. Smile
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT_ZX wrote:
The speed controller is mainly to reduce load on the electrical system. The fan draws between 12-15 amps which is significant if its running flat-out all the time. The speed controller has soft start as well which will reduce inrush current. My alternator has already shit itself once (abuse from stereo I think) so I like to keep things in check. Also I like f&*^ing around with this sort of stuff anyway. Smile

Spose that makes sense ... if ya don't try you never know .... actually I guess you are right ... cause HKS sell a fan controller set don't they ?
Kratos
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1990 Ford Sierra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer my radiator has to be totally drifferent from stock...

I have a factory 97 for sale.
Mungyz
The Lab

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the two pass type system the water is actually slowed down in the system as there is less area for the water to flow through and so more drag/ resistance so it slows down.
The bulk of coolant systems on cars pump the water to fast when the engine is being reved high so the water flows to quickly reducing efficiency by increasing air bubble causing turbulence etc.

Fan speed control units are almost a waste of time as electric motors draw more amps when placed under load and less when free running.
So at high speed with high air flow through the radiator there will be less load on the motor and so less current draw.
If you get the correct spec thermo switch you will find that with a radiator this size the fan will not need to run once you are doing more than around 80/90kph unless you are driving very hard or it is a very hot day.

Electric water pumps are good for increasing HP but as you say the load is just moved from one place to another - this in the end may become to much for our 100amp alternators Laughing

The radiators we speak of here would be fine as is with no mods, just chuck it in with the standard fan etc and you will be fine.
I like to tinker so ...... I tinkered Laughing

Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell do you get in touch with Jimmy ? He never replys to his Trade Me Q's !

Tried to get alloy radiator ...but every time some one beats me to the buy-now ... actually I gave up one I bid on .... for someone who was desperate for a radiator and I said to contact me when the next one came in an he didn't ... and I missed the next auction Confused

Anyone got a phone number or email for him ?

Cheers, Rob

GOT a radiator on the way finally .... phew

Last edited by Blackbird on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TT_ZX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimimport@yahoo.co.nz
TT_ZX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how reducing the water flow will improve efficiency. Where does the "air bubble" come from, in a flooded pressurized system? From my experience turbulence actually improves heat transfer.

Current draw is actually proportional to the air flowing through the fan. If you block the front of the radiator with a piece of cardboard, the motor current will reduce. I'm unsure what effect the car moving will have on the fan.

Turns out the fan speed control was a complete waste of time, so at least we can agree on something Laughing I underestimated how much heat is retained by the volume of coolant, mass of engine and lack of fan capacity. The fan speed was based on the temperature of the water, so the system was essentially proportional control only. The result was that the system reacted far too slowly and had a tendency to accumulate temperature. Reducing the proportional band the fan would run in essentially meant the system acted much like on/off ie. relay.

I have scrapped the fan speed control and built a temperature controller with adjustable set point and differential. We will see how well this works on the weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: