NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum
Owners and enthusiasts 300ZX discussion forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   DynoDyno  
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index

tire wear
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> General tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xdrift
Stage 7 - radiator, intercoolers

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungyz wrote:
Yip pretty much bang on & any DECENT wheel alignment shop should be able to MAKE the shims as required to sort it out.

And as I have said there is the option to make as required, I don't recommend getting carried away and using half inch thick spacers or anything silly like that though.

These don't need a cert, adjustable arms do however and the cert instantly adds a $500 bill to the job.

Mint. In my humble opinion, I would say that would be the way to go for most applications around. I've not seen any design of adjustable top arm I'd really trust long term, there are just too many different forces they have to cope with. I went there once with the threaded type, but definitely wouldn't recommend them (kept loosening off..) and the slotted type look to be prone to cracking, both of these issues are due to torsion through the arm. If the calculated shim thickness is reasonable then I can't see to many down sides. You could even make up a slotted set ("C" shaped ) of shims of various thicknesses for dialing in cars on the wheel alignment machine before fitting the final solid round shims to make it a bit quicker and easier... Smile
samnlou
Stage 5 - boost controller

1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps another option...

When I picked up mine (nearly 10 years ago!!!) the whole setup was way firm and horrible.

Turn out the tyres were lower profile than they should have been. Replacing with a better tyre size on the stock rim transformed handling.

The guys who do my alignment and suspension work know I am fussy and do what I want knowing it will be right for my driving (mostly open road). They are of the opinion that the shock/springs have been replaced at some point as the car sits slightly lower than they expected.

I've had all bushes replaced:
lower inners (front and rear) are standard rubber items
all else are nolathane reds.

All the bolts have been replaced with HT camber pins that give up to 5mm movement. This allows them to dial in positions exactly Smile I'll do an alignment with tyres and maybe one more between.

Suspension arms are standard items.

No problems since work done. Suspension is firm without being race-car hard. Tyres wear evenly, no major tracking/hunting.

My toy is a daily driver when I am in NZ and is treated pretty gently most of the time. Having said that a little entertainment does happen Smile

Hope that helps
Hayd3n
Stage 3 - test pipes, gut cats

1989 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fitted tnew bushes front and rear to this car(NEW OWNER) as its the first thing my wof man failed me on lol,
cost me $400 installed
and got a wheel alignment
car handles better, no more wobbles under braking
i will see how the tyres last , so far so good Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> General tech All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: