NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum
Owners and enthusiasts 300ZX discussion forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   DynoDyno  
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index

Znoelli slotted discs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erichns
Stage 8 - twin pod filters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race brakes and Alert Motorsport in auckland can make SS brake lines with FMVSS106 tag on on them which is 100% legal. Only catch is you have to send them your brake lines so they can copy it, takes 24 hours.

You should probably go for the 12 slots znoellis as it's the one most suited for track use (replaces the dimples with more slots) and has thermo monitoring colouring too.
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XS9909 wrote:
I think I may go for the slotted and dimpled rotors, seems the best way to go.

I have thought long and hard about SS braided lines, the only thing stopping me is the certing issue atm, unless of course there are pre-certed lines?

I got SS braided lines fitted by the workshop who do my WOF .... they said I didn't need a cert for them ?

So I'm all good with that !

Rob
samnlou
Stage 5 - boost controller

1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a group buy on rotors a couple of years back. I got the slotted ones and have not regretted it at all.

Mind you I also got a full rebuild on the callipers and master cylinder. All is good.

Mid weight pads help. Have had really hard pads and to be honest there is little difference in terms of performance for my driving - have yet to cook the brakes. Little noise from the pads once broken in. Either I am not trying hard enough or the set-up is not too bad overall
Rolling Eyes

This setup has been on the for maybe 5000k's. mostly open road. Your mileage may vary Wink
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZILVER wrote:
Quote:
drilled aswell as slotted?

The Zed is to heavy to be kind to drilled rotors (bound to crack 'em)-

But these dimpled/slotted type may be appealing?
http://www.znoelli.co.nz/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=86&idproduct=182

Had DBA slotted and drilled for 7 years .... no problem on an auto TT.

But I'd only go slotted with two part rotors in the future as I will harder on the brakes with a manual on the track in the future.

The saving in weight with drilled is hardly worth it an the slots work well with de-gassing.
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XS9909 wrote:
I think I may go for the slotted and dimpled rotors, seems the best way to go.

I have thought long and hard about SS braided lines, the only thing stopping me is the certing issue atm, unless of course there are pre-certed lines?

So much talk about ss lines

http://www.300zx.co.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Race Brakes say and confirm the LVVTA the issue erichns bought up about DOT marked lines..

The first is a properly swaged type like Goodridge, the acknowledged Rolls-Royce of braided brake hoses.

These are manufactured like a rubber hose with proper braided hose swaged fittings at each end, i.e. a minimum amount of joins which translates into lighter weight and less chance of having any connection problems.

Lethal300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone had any update on these any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=340983694
Are the slots on the DDS curved or straight anyone know? (Hes says can be different from picture so just checking)
I'm thinking about getting these with the rest of my brake upgrade i think it would work well with SS lines caliper rebuild and brake master cylinder brace.
xr6twolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethal300 wrote:
So anyone had any update on these any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=340983694
Are the slots on the DDS curved or straight anyone know? (Hes says can be different from picture so just checking)
I'm thinking about getting these with the rest of my brake upgrade i think it would work well with SS lines caliper rebuild and brake master cylinder brace.

I just fitted a set to the Z last week.

I fitted a set to my XR6 turbo over 60,000km ago. Anyone who knows anything about BA/BF Falcons will tell you they are truly shocking for developing brake shudder.
Fiited Znoelli front and rear with DS2500 front pads and a marginally softer Pagid pad at the rear. Sheer stopping power has improved no end. Sure some will be due to friction coefficients of differing pads but slotted or dimpled rotors will always assist to some extent by eliminating that buildup of gasses between rotor and pad face.

I cant speak highly enough for Znoelli rotors. In my view they out perform the highest spec single piece DBAs for half the price.

I am not knocking the idea of SS lines or master cylinder braces, they are both subtle but effective improvements on factory. In all honesty though I have found on the Z, on my XR6 and on two other cars before that fitting a slotted rotor that lets gasses escape has been the biggest contributor to eliminating that spongy pedal feeling when the brakes are getting a workout.
XS9909
Stage 9 - ported throttle bodies

1989 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For XS I made the following upgrade to the brakes:

Znoelli slotted and dimpled rotors front and rear
Bendix ultimate pads on front, I forget what was on the rear
motul 600 brake fluid
master brake cylinder brace
rebuilt stock calipers

Compared to the braking performance the car originally had, this proved to be a good upgrade. Costs are low, street set-up, and where I originally would run out of brakes after 3-4 laps on the full Taupo track, the car now has enough brakes to last 10+ laps. The rotors do need a little warming up though. I never got around to fitting SS lines, but Im sure that would have helped in a small way. Znoelli also sold me NA versions of the rotor, so have a chat to him and ask him if he still sells them. Check out the garage for XS9909 (sadly this car doesnt belong to me anymore), Im fairly sure there is a pic of the rotor in there.

Good luck and make sure everything is fitted right.
nzniggles

1989 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bendix ultimate pads on front
And they squeal like forty bastards with light braking
Lethal300

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought them should go along nicely with the parts i already have. Will give an update on how they are. When they on with everything else car should be stopping good Smile
Speed_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZILVER wrote:
Quote:

Ive driven with my Z on cross drilled/slotted dba rotors for over a year with no problem
xr6twolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Freak wrote:
ZILVER wrote:
Quote:

Ive driven with my Z on cross drilled/slotted dba rotors for over a year with no problem

Run them up around 550 degrees a few times and you will start to see cracking - thats a guarantee!
As a useful and aesthitically pleasing road rotor they are ok but there are better options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: