NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum
Owners and enthusiasts 300ZX discussion forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   DynoDyno  
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index

Front camber adjustable arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZILVER
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1990 Nissan 300ZX NA

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Linc. Ive also observed that most manufacturers of adj arms state to use their branded/adjustable tension rod arms in liu of... (Modori style or not)
Pilot.P
Stage 9 - ported throttle bodies

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember people being told that if they fit the midori style FUCA's to also fit fixed tension arms to keep movement to a minimum

Yes that is correct, otherwise the bearings in the camber arm will break. I have a set of camber arms and tension rods sitting here Cool will get it all installed as soon the Z1 GB items come Twisted Evil
MikeC
Elite Z owner, king of modification

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nigel other than the price. Just fitted the new front arms and waiting for diff parts before getting the car back. will let you guys know. The Stillen look alikes were never the same as the old ones and a bit harder to adjust acording to the the tire guys, but they may have given up and not set them up 100% correctly.
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungyz wrote:
The bushes will allow SOME movement - only intended I belive to occur at the extreme travel of the suspension NOT the normal every day hieght.

If Nissan were out to save money they would have fitted a simple A arm at the top with a ball joint on top of the J arm - far cheaper than the stock design.

The fact that they didn't indicates to me that the idea was for the top arm to be almost rigid and hold the J arm (and therefore the knuckle) in the same axis as far as caster etc are concerned. The front bush on the radius arm is (as far as I can figure) what is intended to flex to take care of the slight misalignment at the extreme top of travel due to the nature of the design.
By replacing that bush with a rod end you remove the flex from that point and so the top arm becomes over loaded and causes bush failiure.

Obvious really. I give it around twelve mths and we will start to see posts about front suspension components failing with the pivoting/twisting top arms fitted.

Yeah ... kinda what I figured .. just makes sense to stop the twisting aye ..

I think for the street ... well me anyway ..... I'd rather use a packer plate on the original arms ... same as the Z1 kit ... seems to be a good solution.

Glenn your Zed isn't lowered then ?

Seems I don't need it at the moment anyway.

The handling is great with the new tyres on .... just ... farkin wheel balance ... again...

Going to go back anyway tomorrow .... can't be that hard to do a wheel balance surely ...

The Zed didn't shake on the worn tyres on the way back from Hams ... so they just have to get it right.
lostsoul
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

1992 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robwills wrote:
I think for the street ... well me anyway ..... I'd rather use a packer plate on the original arms ... same as the Z1 kit ... seems to be a good solution. Seems I don't need it at the moment anyway.

If a std. Z has too much -ve camber you don't need to adjustable top arms ... what do need is to check the bushes in both the top and bottom arms and also check the springs as these can "sag" after 20 years or so and effectively lower the car thus increasing -ve camber.
torque is how far you take the wall with you." Wink
Mungyz
The Lab

1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel shimmy you have Rob can be due to the wheel alignment, as Nigel says get some shims and remove some of the negative camber then get a good wheel alignment - problem should reduce at least.

12.4 @ 118mph (on 18" semi slick circuit tyres)
ultrapulse
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shimmy as such, just tracking with shit worn fronts. Before that with other wheels the handling was absolutely mint with no vibrations/shimmies/tracking. Hopefully just a wheel balance.
Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's handling beautifully now (an under statement really) ... just one wheel balance not quite right - the usual thing ... they never seem to get it right the first time aye !

The front didn't shake even with the old worn tyres .... all the bushes have been done by Linc and the front wheel alignment is within the factory spec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZ 300ZX Owners Club Forum Forum Index -> Product discussions All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: